Sunderland (Fawcett Street) railway station
Fawcett Street railway station served the city of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England from 1853 to 1879 on the Penshaw branch line.
The site of the station, looking northwest towards Sunderland city centre, in 2017
|Location||Sunderland, Tyne and Wear|
|Coordinates||54°54′11″N 1°22′54″W / 54.903°N 1.3816°WCoordinates: 54°54′11″N 1°22′54″W / 54.903°N 1.3816°W|
|Original company||York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North Eastern Railway|
|1 June 1853||Opened|
|4 August 1879||Closed|
The station opened on 1 June 1853 by the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway. It was situated opposite of Mowbray Extension Park. It was the Eastern terminus of the branch line, closing on 4 August 1879 after being replaced by the current Sunderland station. The site of the station was replaced by housing.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line and station open
|North Eastern Railway |
Newcastle & Darlington Junction Railway